积分

中尉

积分
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
心相映 发表于 2012-8-24 11:06:44 转发到朋友圈 申请置顶 删帖
458 1

本内容为网友发布信息,仅代表原作者观点,不代表本平台立场。

Murders. Corruption. Politicians milking cows.

It was everything I imagined being a professional journalist would be.

My first job out of college was officially covering two small towns outside Burlington, Vermont, but I really wrote about the entire state. It was heaven. Gruff editors hollering over the muffled voices on the police scanner provided my daily soundtrack. I was sure this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

But, unlike Allie Gray Freeland’s assertion that your first job out of college is your most important, my first job actually had little bearing on what I do, what I earn and how I conduct myself a decade later .

Your first job out of college doesn’t really matter to your career big picture. It simply pays off the work and decisions you’ve already made. Here’s what really matters: when you undergo your first career change. That’s when you’ll learn the most about yourself.

Most likely, you’ll change careers at some point in your life. (Although not as many times as you may think—the stats you hear about people changing careers 5-7 times in a lifetime are usually attributed to the Bureau Of Labor statistics, which promises they never actually calculated that.)

Here are four big lessons you’ll learn when changing careers:

I self-identified as a journalist in every facet of my life. It was what I did 24 hours a day. I was a journalist on the job, when out with friends and at dinner parties.

When the industry tanked and started making changes contrary to the core values I got into the field to pursue, I jumped ship. I felt sick to my stomach in job interviews just thinking about leaving my career, but I knew it was the right decision.

And here’s what I realized: you learn a lot about yourself when you untangle yourself from your career .

While you should make a change if you’re not happy in your current job, turning what you love into a career isn’t always healthy.

Find a job that fulfills you. And love the life you live.

Before my interview for a job in a new industry, I had to Google industry jargon from the job description. My boss knew I didn’t have a traditional background for a marketing manager, and she looked at the bigger picture.

Whatever you do, you have skills that extend well beyond the job you do.

Be bold. Be proud of what you know.

You will bring things to the table that your coworkers, who might be on a more direct career path, have not encountered.

Let me tell you: having to knock on the door of a recent widow and ask to borrow their favorite photograph of the person they lost hours before makes everyday work stresses not that difficult to tackle. You, too, have something like this in your background, something that makes you more valuable than you realize.

3. You have a lot to learn.

College has prepared you for your career. Once you’re ready for a career change, you will have spent countless hours absorbed in your industry. You will have succeeded. You will have failed and learned from those failures.

After 10 years of working in your industry, you’ll finally be comfortable doing it.

So making that career switch will be refreshing. Scary, but refreshing. All that amazing learning you underwent when you fell in love with your first career starts anew. You begin discovering. And you will get better and better.

4. There’s more to life than work.

I’m not going to credit my marriage to my career change, but I can’t say I’d have the same relationship had I not changed careers.

When you’re not truly married to your job, you open your heart more to the world around you. It’s not to say that if you’re work-obsessed, you don’t get joy from other things. But when your career doesn’t define you, it’s easier to find joy in other parts of life.

In my new career, I actually put in more hours on the job than I did as a journalist. But it doesn’t consume me like my first career did. It doesn’t define me.

I love being a husband. A father. A homeowner. A neighbor. A friend.

OZYOYO提醒: 请避免提前支付订金、押金等任何费用,请与对方当面沟通,确认资质并看清条款。谨防上当受骗。

免责声明: 本网站所提供的信息,只供参考之用。本网站不保证信息的准确性、有效性、及时性和完整性。本网站及其雇员一概毋须以任何方式就任何信息传递或传送的失误、不准确或错误,对用户或任何其他人士负任何直接或间接责任。在法律允许的范围内,本网站在此声明,不承担用户或任何人士就使用或未能使用本网站所提供的信息或任何链接所引致的任何直接、间接、附带、从属、特殊、惩罚性或惩戒性的损害赔偿。

收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 心相映 发表于 2012-8-24 11:08:04 转发到朋友圈 申请置顶 删帖
我毕业后的第一份工作,虽然名义上只负责报道佛蒙特州所在伯林顿周边的两座小镇,但后来整个州的新闻我都有报道。简直棒极了!当那些冷漠生硬的编辑冲着我在警方扫描仪低沉的报道声音大喊大叫,那时我就确信这是余生我想做的工作。

艾利·格雷·佛瑞兰(Allie Gray Freeland)认为,毕业后的第一份工作至关重要。但我的情况却不同,我的第一份工作对十年后我的行为表现和工作收入影响都不大。其实,毕业后的第一份工作对未来的职业宏图并非有着举足轻重的影响,这份工作仅仅证明你已做出的选择和努力是有些成效的。真正对你有很大影响的是第一次职业跳槽!那时你才会真正了解自己。

在人生中你总会有几次跳槽经历的,当然也许不会有你想象中的那么多——每人一生中跳槽的次数可到5-7次!这个数据来自劳动数据统计局,但他们一定没有做过精确的统计。

1.不必非干老本行

我自认为新闻工作就是我的生活。我时时刻刻都在工作,不仅在上班时,和朋友出去或开晚宴派对时也在工作。

随着新闻这行变得非常不景气,接踵而来的变化又与我所追求的职业价值有了抵触,于是我就开始转行。当时一想到刚辞去的工作却又不得不面对一个个面试时,我就难受的要死,但我很清楚我的选择肯定没错。

我所学到的就是,把自己从工作中解放出来时,会对自己有了更深的了解。如果你对现有的工作不满意,那就该考虑换换了。把自己热爱的事当做职业去做并非大有益处。要找一份适合自己的工作去做,要热爱你所拥有的生活。

2. 不足的职业背景大有价值

我曾经去一个从未干过的工作面试之前,不得不在谷歌上搜索了解许多这个行业的专业用语。我的老板知道我没有市场经理的职业背景,但她看的很长远。

不管做什么,你会的技能远远超过所干的那一行本身。因此,自信点!你所知道的其实不少!你提出的问题或见解可能你的同事从未碰到过,因为他们也许从未在别的领域干过。

你该知道:对于一个刚刚丧偶的寡妇,上门要取她心爱丈夫的照片,她所要承受的压力可能并非那么难以应付。同样,你职业背景中的有些东西要比你认为有价值得多。

3.学到更多

走出校门后,你就准备好了就业。但如果你要跳槽,就要在新的职业领域多下很多功夫。最终总会成功的,虽然会经历失败,但从这些失败中却可以学到很多。

在一行干上十几年,可能就变得太安于现状。换换职业就像换换空气一样,可能有点害怕,但会充满新鲜感。就像爱上第一份工作一样,全新的学习会让你觉得焕然一新。开始全新的探索,这些都让你变得越来越强。

4. 从生活中获益更多

当然对于婚姻,我不会像跳槽一样冒这个险,但换职业真的和婚姻的关系很像。如果你没有真正‘嫁’给你的工作,你的心依然向外面的世界敞开着。这并不是说如果你是个工作狂,就不能从工作以外的事中发现乐趣;而是说如果不被职业所束缚,会更容易从生活的其他方面找到乐趣。

比起做新闻工作者时,我在新工作上其实花用了更多时间,但却不像第一份工作那样消耗我的精力,因为新工作没有束缚我。

我更享受着生活中的工作角色——做丈夫,父亲,家主,邻居,朋友。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

发表新帖 搜索
〓 房产买卖平台 〓
〓 整租租房平台 〓
〓 生意买卖平台 〓

Copyright @ 2019 BrisbaneBBS.com. All rights reserved. User Agreement

分享本页

客服号

公众号